What Are the Benefits of a Home Energy Audit?
Your home is not only the biggest financial investment you’re ever likely to make, but it’s also an investment in the comfort and safety of your family. While no home is perfect, some could use a little more help than others, particularly when it comes to energy efficiency. A home energy audit is the perfect solution to your energy woes, helping to identify areas of waste or concern with recommendations on how to improve the efficiency of your Cincinnati home.
What Is a Home Energy Audit?
A professional home energy audit is carried out by a certified energy advisor who evaluates the energy efficiency of your home based on many criteria. During the audit, the advisor will perform both a visual and diagnostic inspection of a number of areas and components in your home, including:
- Basement or crawlspace
- HVAC system
- Exhaust fans
A number of tests provide a more comprehensive, behind the scenes evaluation of your home’s building envelope, including:
- Thermal imaging – Infrared thermography uses a specialized camera to view hot and cold spots and to identify areas of leakage by variations in surface temperatures.
- Blower door test – Depressurization is achieved with high powered fans to locate leaks and measure draft levels.
Once the assessment is complete, you will receive a detailed report and an energy rating between 0 and 100. The auditor will make a number of cost-effective recommendations on how to improve the energy efficiency of your home and show you how much you can save by implementing each one.
The Benefits of a Home Energy Audit
Once you’ve made a commitment to improve the energy efficiency of your home, there’s no better place to start than with a home energy audit. Benefits of this service include:
- Increased comfort – When conditioned air is lost due to heat transfer or air leakage, your HVAC system may be unable to achieve the desired temperature. Once improvements have been made, you should experience a higher level of consistent, reliable heating and cooling for increased comfort. Drafts from doors and windows may render certain areas of your home unusable during periods of extreme weather, but after these leaks are sealed, you can regain full use of every room and corner in your home.
- Cost savings – Inefficiencies in your HVAC system or a loose building envelope can force your heating and cooling equipment to work harder to reach the temperature on your thermostat. Once your home’s efficiency has been optimized, your HVAC system will require less fuel to heat or cool your home, instantly reducing your energy bills.
- Reveal hidden issues – So much goes on unseen behind the walls of your home—such as mold growth, improper ventilation techniques, or structural concerns—and a home energy audit can help bring these issues to light.
- Raise the value of your home – Whether you plan to sell your home in the near or distant future, a decrease in energy consumption is attractive to many buyers and may help you sell your home more quickly or achieve a higher return on your investment.
Schedule a Home Energy Audit in Cincinnati, OH
To make sure your home is operating as efficiently as possible, schedule a home energy audit today. The experts from National Heating and Air Conditioning would be happy to help you achieve optimal efficiency and comfort for your family.
To schedule a home energy audit in the Cincinnati area, call (513) 621-4620 or contact us online today!