Can Air Conditioning Cause a Sore Throat?
Can an air conditioner cause you to get a sore throat? Yes, it can! Air conditioners help to remove humidity from the air, which in turn can persuade you to feel a little more parched than usual, making people turn to throat lozenges from Quantum Health to soothe them. Can you blame your air conditioner for all of your health concerns? Probably not. In reality, your air conditioner may be doing more good to help your health than you think!
How Did My Air Conditioner Give Me a Sore Throat?
The primary explanation as to how air conditioners can cause a sore, dry throat has to do with changes in your indoor air quality. When you turn your air conditioner on, it is essentially “conditioning” the air that is enclosed in a certain space. As it functions, it accomplishes the following tasks:
- It pulls humidity out of the air.
- It expels hot air outside of the home or building.
- It recycles cooled air.
- It provides routine airflow.
During the air conditioning process, moisture is being pulled out of the air. As this takes place in a closed room, the room can become excessively dry. As a result, you may experience throat issues, like:
Some people are more prone to symptoms as a result of dry air, however, if you notice you get a sore throat commonly around the time that you run your air conditioner, it may be time to take a few preventative measures for your health!
Reasons Why Air Conditioning Can Give You A Sore Throat
The first step in preventing more sore throats due to your air conditioning system is to resolve any issues that are causing it to dry up the air more than it normally should. You may need to address the following issues:
- Poor AC Installation – If your air conditioner isn’t the right size, make, or model, it could be running inefficiently or causing your energy bills to spike. For the sake of your health and your wallet, make sure you hire a qualified HVAC contractor to install your AC system!
- Poor AC Maintenance – Dirty air filters are a telltale sign that your home is at risk of poor indoor air quality and poor airflow. Remember, you need to schedule HVAC maintenance at least twice a year for your heating and cooling systems. Nobody likes a dirty air filter!
- Keeping AC Vents Closed – If you always run your air conditioner with the vent control closed, you will encounter poor air exchange between the home and the outside world. Over time, this allows the environment in your ductwork and in your home to stagnate, which can be a breeding ground for infections. Opening the windows and running the AC with the vent control open will help to better manage the system!
Air conditioning is a modern necessity and luxury in this day and age. Used correctly, you can enjoy the benefits of air conditioning every day in your cool, temperate home. If you do notice signs that you need AC repair or maintenance services, don’t wait for the issues to affect your health! Call an HVAC contractor today.
Your HVAC Company in Cincinnati, Ohio
Schedule Air Conditioning Repair & Maintenance Services
At National Heating and Air Conditioning, we provide air conditioning services throughout Cincinnati, Ohio. Some of our most popular service areas include the cities of Amberley, Blue Ash, Covedale, Erlanger, Fairfield, Indian Hill, Liberty Township, Loveland, Lebanon, Maineville, Madeira, Mason, Miami Trails, Milford, Montgomery, Morrow, and West Chester Township.
If you are located in or near these areas, do not hesitate to contact our HVAC contractors online or call us at (513) 621-4620!