Can an AC Compressor Be Repaired?
If you have received a professional confirmation that your AC compressor is in disrepair you now have to face a few options: replace the AC compressor, replace the entire condensing unit with or without the indoor evaporator coil, or replace the whole cooling and heating system. What do you do? And is there a way to save your AC compressor without needing a replacement?
At National Heating and Air Conditioning, we can help. Our HVAC contractors in Cincinnati are here to help you with all of your AC repair, maintenance, and replacement needs. When your AC compressor is in disrepair, we can help!
Read on or give us a call at (513) 621-4620 to schedule air conditioning services in Cincinnati!
What Is an AC Compressor?
In your home, an AC compressor is typically found in your central air conditioning system and is located in the outdoor unit. When your air conditioner is running, it helps to circulate the refrigerant that is needed to run the heat exchange through the coils of the indoor and outdoor unit. Additionally, it also applies energy to the refrigerant to keep it moving.
AC compressors are powered by a small motor that converts the refrigerant to a high-pressure gas. If you have a broken AC compressor, you’re out of luck thinking your home can stay cool without it!
Common Air Conditioning Compressor Problems
How do you fix your AC compressor? First, you have to establish what the problem is! Here is a broad overview of the three most common AC compressor repair problems:
- Motor won’t start If the AC compressor’s motor won’t start, you may have a faulty start capacitor or, in some cases, it may be missing!
- AC unit is short-cycling If your air conditioner is turning on and off too frequently, it could be due to several reasons. You may have a frayed wire or other damages that are negatively affecting the unit’s ability to function correctly. Do not attempt to fix this yourself! Please call a qualified HVAC contractor.
- The AC compressor is overheating If your AC compressor overheats, this may be due to similar AC damage issues, or it could be due to a decrease in cooling capacity caused by pressurization issues. This is a complex repair issue that may be best solved by a qualified AC repairman.
How to Repair AC Compressor Issues
Not every AC compressor problem can be solved with at-home fixes. However, the little bit you do at home today can help you save money and prevent future air conditioning repair problems down the line! Here are a few air conditioner maintenance checklist ideas to help you reduce AC repair needs.
- Clean the air filters If your air conditioner has dirty air filters, you’ll want to replace them quickly. Air filters collect dirt, debris, and pollutants and should be cleaned or replaced every few months to prevent damage to the internal system.
- Clean the air ducts When was the last time you had your air ducts inspected? Clean air ducts lead to cleaner air inside your home and a happier HVAC system! Be sure to thoroughly check the air ducts for signs of leaks or buildup of debris.
- Schedule maintenance One of the biggest mistakes homeowners make is thinking they will save on yearly air conditioner costs by hiring an HVAC contractor only when something goes wrong. With regular, preventative maintenance, your air conditioner can last a lot longer and require fewer repairs!
AC Compressor Repair in Cincinnati, OH
If your AC compressor is broken or in need of repair, don’t rush to replace it right away. First, call your local HVAC company to schedule an inspection. A repair may cost you far less than a total replacement!
At National Heating and Air Conditioning, we service the greater Cincinnati area, including Amberley, Blue Ash, Cincinnati, Covedale, Erlanger, Fairfield, Indian Hill, Liberty Township, Loveland, Lebanon, Maineville, Madeira, Mason, Miami Trails, Milford, Montgomery, Morrow, and West Chester Township.
Fill out our contact form, and one of our team members will reach out to you shortly!