Why Every Homeowner Needs to Conduct Dryer Vent Cleanings
Many people go throughout the year without even considering the health of their appliances. Whether it be the dishwasher, washing machine or any other commonly-used home fixture, we often take for granted the fact that these product help to make our lives so much easier.
One home appliance that you should never file away as being “out of sight, out of mind” is your dryer. Dirty dryer vents may not sound threatening, but they can actually lead to disaster if you aren’t careful.
Why Have Your Dryer Vent Cleaned?
Even the most high-functioning dryers on the market need to have their vents cleaned on occasion. Here are just a few reasons why having a National Heating and Air professional come in to clean your dryer vent is a good idea if it’s been a while:
- Dirty Dryer Vents can be Dangerous – A lot of people don’t realize that dirty dryer vents are practically set up to cause fires. When moist air leaves your dryer and moves through its vents, it can attract highly-flammable dust and lint to the sides of the ducts. The more loads of clothing you wash and dry each year, the more likely it is that you’re at risk of a dryer fire. Cleaning your dryer vent is the only way to eliminate this issue.
- Dirty Dryer Vents Cost You Money – No one wants to spend more on energy costs each month than they have to. Dirty dryer vents are not only dangerous, but they can end up costing you quite a bit of extra money. A dryer simply cannot function at peak performance if its vents are dirty, which means it has to work harder than is necessary to remove moisture from your clothing. It may not seem like a big deal, but it adds up over time and affects home performance if you’re washing a number of loads each week.
- Dirty Dryer Vents Decrease the Lifespan of Your Appliance – When you set out to purchase a dryer, you almost invariably hope that you’ll have it for many years. Dirty dryer vents work against this idea, however, especially when you consider that they can make it so that your dryer takes twice as much time to handle a single load.
Warning Signs to Look For
Dirty dryer vents are sometimes pretty apparent, but in other cases, it can be difficult to tell whether or not you have a problem if you don’t know what you’re looking for. With that in mind, here are a few warning signs you should keep a watchful eye over –
- Clothing that takes too long to dry
- Clothing and outside of dryer is getting too hot
- You smell something burning
- You haven’t had your vent inspected in over a year
If any of the above apply to you, now’s the time to schedule an appointment with National Heating and Air. Contact us today to learn more.